Monday, November 15, 2010

Review: Jason Aldean's My Kind of Party


It's no secret that my taste in music is unique, my iPod is hands down the craziest selection of music you will ever see. I have everything from Cole Potter to Nappy Roots to Tim McGraw and Poison. Seriously. My theory is, if it's good I'll listen to it, if it's not then I won't. I don't have a "type".

Anyway, the kind people at Red Music sent me a copy of Jason Aldean's new album My Kind of Party. I had no idea this was his 4th studio album, surely it was his 2nd, maybe 3rd? Where was I when the other two came out? I like Jason Aldean, I've been a fan since the first time I heard Hicktown, and don't get me started on Big Green Tractor, love it, so I was excited to hear his new album.

Comparing the CD to his other songs, you know it's him. He definitely has a distinct sound, the only thing that really surprised me on this album was his duet with Kelly Clarkson. When I saw it I thought it was kind of out of left field, but when I heard the song, wow. It really worked, and is one of my favorites on the album.

I really liked all the songs except for one, Texas Was You, and not because of the lyrics but because all I can hear is The Who's Teenage Wasteland on the guitar. That's really my only complaint about the CD. Like I said, all the other songs are great. I loved Tattoos on this Town, I ain't ready to quit, Don't You Wanna Stay (with Kelly Clarkson) and Church Pew or Bar Stool.

I have a feeling this CD will not come out of my car for a while, it's really that good. If you like Jason Aldean, be sure to check him out tonight (Nov. 15) on Jimmy Kimmel Live and watch for him on the American Music Awards. I really hope he wins, it's about time.

Thanks again to Red Music for providing me with a review copy! You can get your own copy from iTunes (go there to listen to the samples, you'll love them!), Amazon or wherever else you buy your CD's.

0 comments: